Giraffes are browsing animals which use their huge necks and prehensile tongues to strip the leaves and bark from trees on the African savannah.
Did You Know?
- Despite their great height and gangly appearance the giraffe is one of the fastest species of animal, reaching top speeds of 35mph (56kph) when running over open ground - even a horse would struggle to keep up with that.
- For longer distances, the giraffe can lope along at about 10mph(16kph).
- The giraffe has one of the longest and most mobile tongues reaching an average length of 45.6cm.
- In 1986, the first twin giraffes in Europe were born at Longleat.
- The collective name for a group of giraffes is ‘Tower’.
- The pattern of a giraffe’s coat is as unique as the human fingerprint.
Times, Prices, Directions
Longleat Safari Park
The Estate Office
Longleat, Warminster, Wiltshire
Tel: 01985 844400
Open daily from 27 March to 31 October 2010
(excluding Christmas Day).
Daily: Saturday 13 February to Sunday 21 February inclusive
Weekends only: Saturday 27 February to Sunday 21 March inclusive
Daily: Saturday 27 March to Sunday 31 October inclusive
Attraction Adult Child Senior Citizen
Safarfi Park £ 12.00 £ 8.00 £ 9.00
Longleat House £ 12.00 £ 6.00 £ 8.00
Grounds & Gardens £ 4.00 £ 2.00 £ 3.00
Longleat is just off the A36 between Bath and Salisbury (A362 Warminster – Frome road)
From the South East: M3 (J8) - A303 - A36 towards Bath – Longleat is just off the A362 between Warminster and Frome
From the South West: A303 in a London direction – A350 towards Warminster – A36 towards Bath – Longleat is just off the A362 between Warminster and Frome
From the North: M4 (J18) – A46 towards Bath – A36 towards Salisbury – Longleat is just off the A362 between Warminster and Frome
The nearest train station, Warminster, is approximately 5 miles from Longleat. Warminster is on the Cardiff to Portsmouth line.
Westbury station is approximately 12 miles from Longleat and connects directly with London, being on the Paddington to Penzance line.
Both train stations are serviced by taxis which will bring you directly to Longleat.