Colchester Zoo’z Mission Statement:
Provide a first class experience for all its visitors and at the same time further understanding and respect for animals. Through visitor’s funds, Colchester Zoo undertakes breeding programmes for endangered species and funds in situ projects in the wild.
Pursues this mission by:
- Enabling our visitors to experience a stimulating and enjoyable day out that is excellent value for money and time
- Keeping animals in modern, naturalistic enclosures in accordance with best practice
- Participating in co-ordinated breeding programmes
- Giving priority to species that are threatened in the wild
- Increasing public understanding of species and their welfare
- Increasing understanding of the issues involved in conservation and the breeding of endangered species
- Supporting field conservation programmes in the wild, through Colchester Zoo’s Action for the Wild
- Developing its role as a centre for research
- Promoting care for the environment through education and leading by example
- Maintaining and developing an education programme from pre-school to degree level
- Playing a significant role nationally and internationally to conserve endangered species and improve standards of animal welfare.
Stanway, Colchester, Essex
Tel: 01206 331292
Opening times and Prices:
Colchester Zoo is located just south of Colchester. Take the A1124 exit off the main A12 following the elephant signs.
From the M25: About 40 minutes from Junction 28 of the M25 to reach the A12.
From Southend: About 1 hour’s journey, 40 miles using A127 and A130 to reach the A12.
From Hertfordshire: About 1 hour’s journey – 50 miles using A414 or A120 to reach the A12.
Colchester Main Train Station can be reached from Liverpool Street services from London within in an hour or is easily reached along the Lowestoft or Norwich networks to Ipswich and then on to Colchester. Colchester Zoo is just 10 minutes by taxi or can be reached by bus. See details below.
All bus services to Colchester Bus Station regularly connect with the Eastern National 75 for Maldon or Tiptree and Colchester Zoo. On arrival at Colchester Bus Station look for Stand 9.
On your return you should use service 75 from the Zoo, departures at 0939hrs, 1039, 1139, 1239, 1339, 1439, 1539 (Saturday only), 1556 (Mon-Fri), 1639 & 1739 during the daytime.